What a pain!
Time for an update on my ever present back issue.
- Back in February I started noticing my right leg getting tingly when I slept. Didn’t think too much of it until it started getting worse and kept me up through the night.
- Then my lower back started having some pain
- Ran the NYC Half marathon in mid-March
- Tingling stopped, pain wasn’t too bad
- Was OK for about 2.5 weeks
- 2 weeks before NJ Marathon it started getting worse. I really cut back on running and increased my yoga/stretching
- Felt OK going into marathon but told myself not to push. Felt great through marathon. Felt fine after
- Finally went to doctor – inconclusive as to what the heck was wrong with me. Went to 2nd doctor – told me, oh yeah, you have a herniated disc I’m going to give you a shot. Went to third doctor, and like Goldilocks, 3rd time was a charm
- Was starting to feel tingly/numbness in my right arm around this time. Was starting to get worse. But really only felt it at work
- Then the night before the Brooklyn Half Marathon I really thought I was going to drop out because my right arm was ice cold and so tingly. Didn’t drop out – ran race and felt OK but still didn’t over exert myself
- Went back to doctor after the race. He ordered an MRI on my upper and lower spine
- MRI showed I have 2 bulging discs in my neck but showed nothing on my back – thank the lord!!!
- Doc said it’s my sciatica/piriformis muscle – that the muscle is spasming so much it’s mimicking symptoms of a pinched nerve and that’s where I’m getting the tingly feeling from. Had me start doing PT
- Have been doing PT for about 5 weeks now. Have good days and bad days.
- Now for the past month have been having bad pain in my left buttocks into upper thigh and sometimes into lower back. Actually worse pain than the right side was. Trying to get that sorted out through PT
- I’ve been running, but the pain in my left side is persistent and present when I run which is making me nervous. So I’m being extra careful and either taking it super easy or doing the elliptical instead
- Doctor says that it’s a coincidence my neck and back have issues at the same time – meaning the bulging discs in my neck aren’t the cause of my leg issue. As soon as I get my back/legs under control, he wants me to start on the neck
- Had follow up appointment last week – doc says if I’m not getting any better through the PT it may be time for a cortisone shot (eeeek!) – he said don’t worry it won’t hurt because it’s a fleshy part of the body (heheh!). Trying to avoid the shot at all costs, but if I keep having mornings like I did today, then I don’t know if that will be possible
So that’s where I am – I’m doing PT about 2x a week and working on my exercises on my own the other days. I’m getting super frustrated because I “started” Chicago training last week and I already feel like I’m failing.
The doctor said the shot would most likely help, but we wouldn’t know just how helpful it would be until I have one – some people it’s a one and done, others you need to do it a few times. But if it’s wearing off way too quickly then obviously there’s something way wrong and I need to just give myself rest. I don’t want to get to that point so I’m really hoping I can get better through the PT.
I’m having a super hard time dealing with this issue because I just do not want to stop running! But I know that I have to take the rest when my body needs it. I have been much better about listening to my body recently and I’m trying to not get so worked up over not being able to run <– but this is a huge work in progress! Especially when I have Chicago to train for!
So that’s where I currently am. Injuries are totes the pits!!! But being healthy is my main priority so I will do whatever it takes to get back to 100%!